Monday, 12 October 2015

Delicious Magazine's Apple Cinnamon Crumble

OCD Panic Rating: 1/5
Handwashes: 2

My parents visited last weekend and were kind enough to bring a bag of homegrown cooking apples with them.  Of course, this could only mean apple crumble.  There are other things that I could have made with the apples, but I can't think of anything more satisfying and delicious than a humble crumble.  After all, with the apples provided, I already had every other ingredient to hand in my kitchen.  Always a great start to a recipe.

One of the other fab things about making a crumble is that there aren't many rules to follow.  If you look up 50 apple crumble recipes, you'll get 50 different versions: varying amounts of apple used, different spice blends, additional sultanas and other fruits, oats in the crumble, etc. etc.  You can work it however you want.  I used this recipe as my starting point.  I used to have a Delia recipe but gave that book to a charity shop without copying it out.  Oops.

I followed the recipe for the most part.  However, I'm a fan of quite a saucy crumble so decided to heat the fruit on the hob for a few minutes before placing it in the casserole dish.  If you prefer firmer lumps of fruit, by all means avoid preheating it.  I just like the way the soft fruit contrasts with the crunchy topping.

Crumble looks like crumble but, for the sake of posterity, this is how a portion of mine looks:



You can tell from the dark colour that there is a reasonable amount of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in the apple mixture.  It's full of flavour but without the spice mix being overpowering.  With a sprinkling of custard, it's a perfect pud.

My only issue is that there is slightly too much crumble topping for the amount of filling.  I think this is probably because I cooked down the apples a bit before baking, so there was less chunky fruit in the mixture.  I love crumble topping so it's only a minor complaint but it's a good excuse to fill up with extra apple and sultanas next time.  

And I still have more of my mum's apples to spare..!

Key Points:

  • Don't be afraid to experiment with crumble.  It's pretty difficult to ruin it so try different fruits and spice mixes until you make it your own.
  • If you do like to cook down the fruit a bit before baking, you might need to add more of it to keep the fruit/topping ratio right.

Win Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment