Sunday, 29 November 2015

Good Food Show Winter: A Foodie's Dream!

Ah, it's that time of year again when I can rock up to the NEC in Birmingham and be showered with freebies, samples and all manner of scrumptious temptations.  I love the Good Food Show.  It's an excuse to try things that you are normally too broke to buy or that aren't available in your area, and makes for some brilliant Christmas shopping.

Having been exceptionally broke over recent weeks, it was with great relief that I was paid before this weekend.  I didn't end up spending too much, but it's always nice to have some in reserve just in case.  My haul looked like this by the end of the day:

Good Food Show Winter, Birmingham

I got some fantastic Seed and Bean chocolate (a buy that I've been looking forward to since the last show), some Spicentice packs, curry leaves and a few random freebies thrown in.  I could have got a lot more, but I was keen to avoid buying for the sake of buying.  When in doubt, I made a mental note of stalls and brands, with an eye to looking them up online at a later date.

The only downside of the day was that it was largely the same stalls that were there when I went last November.  This isn't necessarily a problem - it certainly helps to build brand loyalty - but it means that the experience loses some of its novelty.  I had a lovely sausage roll, I think from the same place I had one last year, and the same is true of a bombay aloo samosa I enjoyed.  All very tasty, just not particularly original.

There were some changes this year.  It looked like there was a cheese competition going on alongside the main show:

Cheese!

Tonnes of the bloody stuff!  Boy, did it smell too.  I'm not big on smelly cheese but it was an impressive array nonetheless.

High point of the day was going to see the Hairy Bikers do a demo in the Supertheatre:

Hairy Bikers

They were as funny and over-the-top as you would expect, with James Martin even making an appearance to add butter to Dave's salad.  It was nice to see Si looking so well after his recent health issues too.  It was their new meat book that they were promoting, although the demo might have been more tempting if someone had remembered to switch on the oven...  Oops.  A good laugh though, and the recipes sounded tasty enough to recommend the book to me.  I'll be keeping an eye out for it at the library.

Overall, it was a fun day and well worth fighting through the crowds for.  I might take a year off from attending though, so that it doesn't get too stale.  Some fresh stalls and a bit of a facelift might do it good, but it remains an excellent day out.



No comments:

Post a Comment